The Butter ad campaign was a series of advertisements in print, television and billboards promoting the Truly Happy Truly Butter product. It was the brainchild of the company's marketing manager Gary. He was going through some issues in his private life at the time which resulted in some intense ad copy. Although his slogans were just personal indictments directed at himself, many people began asking themselves the same questions posed in the ads. The resulting popularity of theses advertisements also managed to increase butter sales significantly. The Butter marketing campaign was first seen in the Season One episode "Josh Just Happens to Live Here!". A cartoon version of the butter ad can also be seen on a billboard during the opening credits.
- "Josh Just Happens to Live Here!": The butter advertisements are seen five times in this episode. In New York, Rebecca sees the ad for the first time in a commercial at her apartment; she sees it again on the back of a magazine at her law firm and outside on the street on a huge banner on the side of a building. All three ask the same question: "When was the last time you were truly happy?". Two quick glimpses of another butter advertisement are also seen during the West Covina number: One on an outdoor TV monitor outside M&M Market and one on a billboard when Rebecca steps out of the taxi; both proclaim, "Your future is in your hands...And on the edge of your knife..."
- "I'm Going on a Date with Josh's Friend!": In West Covina, Rebecca sees another commercial for the butter this time urging people to make healthier choices. Rebecca takes this advice to heart and doesn't have a one night stand with a stranger. Josh also sees the butter ad before turning in his application to the Aloha Tech Center. The coda of the episode shows Gary, the advertising executive who came up with the butter campaign. He admitted to his boss that the ads were inspired by an unhealthy and unhappy choice he made in which he left his wife for a prostitute.
- "Josh is Going to Hawaii!": Rebecca contemplates her recent actions as being a villain of her own story. She imagines herself as playing that part in the poster of a RomCom movie and postedbehind her is a Butter billboard.
- An animated version of a butter advertisement appears on a billboard in the Season One title sequence.
- ”Josh’s Ex-Girlfriend is Crazy”: After Josh confronts Rebecca at the carnival a butter poster can be seen behind her which reads “Butter can’t save you now.”
Voice of the ad campaignEdit
|The voice in the Butter ad campaign is “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” writer and producer Elisabeth Kiernan Averick. She revealed this on her Twitter account on November 22, 2017.
|Food and drink|
Treadmill desk · ADD medication · Marijuana · Triceratops · Butter marketing campaign · Brooch · Balloon · Hacked emails · Key to the City · Table · Dart board · Paula's desk · Rebecca’s file · Dolspirone
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 1 - Vol.1)
|Meta references||Room Temperature · The Cancer Crew · Slumbered|