|Leitmotifs is a recurring theme that's used throughout a story associated with a particular character, concept or event. They often are in the form of short melodies or compositions to remind the audience of previous moments. On Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, certain songs have been used as leitmotifs throughout the show. The first example of this was in the Season One episode "Josh Just Happens to Live Here!".|
- "Josh Just Happens to Live Here!": The song "West Covina" is used as leitmotif and also as a reprise in the final scene with Rebecca and Paula.
- "I Hope Josh Comes to My Party!": At the start of the episode the song "Feelin' Kinda Naughty" is used as a leitmotif.
- "I'm Going on a Date with Josh's Friend!": The song can be heard in the background when Greg leaves Rebecca's apartment after having confronted her about ditching him on thier date to sleep with another guy.
- "My First Thanksgiving With Josh!": A leitmotif of "West Covina" is heard in the background when Rebecca suggests to Greg that he take night classes.
- "Josh Has No Idea Where I Am!": When Dream Ghost Akopian takes Rebecca to her apartment and shows her how concerned everyone is the leitmotif of "West Covina" plays.
- "Josh's Sister is Getting Married!": In the last scene a leitmotif of "Settle For Me" plays in the background.
- "Paula Needs to Get Over Josh!":
- At the jewelry store scene with Josh and Rebecca a few bars from "I Have Friends" can be heard.
- When Rebecca goes downstairs in her apartment and shows off her dress to Greg the song "Settle For Me" can be heard.
- "All Signs Point to Josh...Or is it Josh's Friend?": As Rebecca waits on the Heritage Bridge for Greg the leitmotif of "Settle For Me" plays.
- "Why Is Josh's Ex-Girlfriend Eating Carbs?": The song "Triceratops Ballet" contains leitmotifs of the songs "I'm The Villain In My Own Story", "Just a Girl in Love" and "I'm a Good Person", "One Indescribable Instant".
- "Can Josh Take a Leap of Fate?":