The Pilot was the original "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" episode filmed for the Showtime network. After Showtime passed on it co-creators Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna shopped the pilot around to other networks until it was picked up to series by The CW. Since the show was now on a prime time network instead of premium cable changes were made to it. The most significant differences was making it an hour long comedy, editing out the mature content and recasting a main character. The 30 minute cable version was never aired but snippets of unused footage can be seen in the promotional videos seen HERE. A PDF of a revised script for The CW containing elements of the Pilot can be seen HERE.
- Story: On the cusp of receiving a promotion at her New York law firm, Harvard educated attorney Rebecca Bunch has a chance encounter with her ex-boyfriend Josh Chan. Believing this to be a sign, she quits her job and moves across country to chase after Josh who has just returned to his hometown of West Covina, California. As she settles into her new surroundings she gets acquainted with her workplace and boss, meeting Josh's friend and trying to get in touch with the object of her affection. Rebecca unexpectedly gets an ally for her romantic quest in the form of her co-worker turned BFF Paula Proctor.
- People: Five main characters are introduced in both versions
- Rebecca Bunch: The protagonist and titular "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" who moves to the West Coast for her ex-boyfriend.
- Josh Chan: The object of Rebecca's affection who inspires her to make a drastic, life-changing decision.
- Darryl Whitefeather: Rebecca's new boss who is excited by his new hire and is currently going through a divorce.
- Paula Proctor: At first Rebecca's nemesis at the start of the show by the end she becomes her new best friend and devoted confidant.
- Greg Serrano: Josh's friend who invites Rebecca to a house party in which she hopes to see Josh there.
- Places: Several locations are introduced in both versions which become recurring set pieces on the show.
|Length||32 minutes||Hour (42 minutes)|
|Actor||Michael McDonald portrays Darryl Whitefeather||Pete Gardner portrays Darryl Whitefeather.|
|Arrival||After the plane lands in West Covina, Rebecca's cab from the airport takes her straight to the Mall.||After the plane lands in West Covina, Rebecca's cab from the airport takes her to a street corner where she walks to the Mall.|
|Destiny||A stripper named 'Destiny' dances for Rebecca and appears topless with the nudity shown.||A stripper named 'Destiny' dances for Rebecca and appears topless but no nudity is shown|
|Law firm||The offices seemed to be filmed on location at an actual office with a completely different look from The CW version.||The offices are filmed on a sound stage set with a completely different look from the Showtime version.|
|Additional scenes||More scenes of Rebecca exploring the mall. At some point during her song "West Covina" Rebecca is pushed over by a bike rider.||More Paula scenes at the office with Mrs.Hernandez.|
|Song||The "The Sexy Getting Ready Song" includes a sequence where Rebecca bleeds after removing hair in a sensitive area of her body.||The Sexy Getting Ready Song" is edited; removed is the sequence where Rebecca bleeds after removing hair in a sensitive area of her body.|
|Makeout||When Greg and Rebecca make out in the bedroom all she does is feel him up.||When Greg and Rebecca make out in the bedroom she instigates some heavy petting including manual stimulation and some fellatio.|
|End tag||No end tag.||A short scene is shown with rapper Nipsey Hussle apologizing to dancers from his video.|
|Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Episodes|